[oe] Getting patches committed

Stanislav Brabec utx at penguin.cz
Thu Jan 21 22:06:45 UTC 2010

Martin Jansa wrote:

> Would be OK to create also branch for stuff I'm going to push upstream
> soon? with developer name prefix like WIP branches ie
> martin_jansa/for-oe-upstream ?

Yes, WIP free-for-all branches would be a good idea. Something like this
exists in openSUSE Build Service and it is used by many users for their
experiments.

As OE uses git, maybe by purpose hierarchy could be better than by user,
for example:
wip/org.openembedded.dev.no_static_libraries

Every branch should contain README with this information:
Who created it
Why it was created
Why it is not in mainline
What needs to be done to merge it with mainline.
When the branch becomes obsolete.

I guess that many patches are lost just because the original author lost
effort to finish the work and make the patch good for mainline.

With such public wip branches, anybody can take the work, improve it or
finish it.