[oe] Request to revert latest devicekit patch

Rolf Leggewie no2spam at nospam.arcornews.de
Sun Jan 24 15:54:29 UTC 2010

Koen Kooi wrote:
> On 24-01-10 12:35, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:
>> Can anyone ack the revert please?
>
> The commit says:
>
> Note: Another (maybe better) fix would be to package up docbook-xsl but
> that is overkill for these two recipes.

To introduce something new that patch breaks something for somebody else
that was previously working.  I thought it was commonly accepted that
it's then the author's (and possibly the committer's) responsibility to
come up with something better to fix this regression.

> Wouldn't that be a better option than introducing a regression?

The regression was introduced with the patch.  Not by reverting it.

A revert gets my ACK if this bothers Holger enough in his workflow.  I
would suggest Holger and David-John should talk about a time-frame in
which David-John can cook up a proper patch.  Based on this information
a decision should be made if a revert is necessary in the meantime or
not.  I trust Holger's judgment here.

PS: David-John, the whole discussion is at
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.handhelds.openembedded/29524