[oe] update hook for git to check push commit message

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Thu Jan 28 23:22:32 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 3:59 PM, Tom Rini <tom_rini at mentor.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-01-28 at 12:00 -0800, Khem Raj wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Attached is a small hook for updates that are pushed into repo.
> > Right now it only checks the first line of the commit and expects
> > module: summary
>
> Is there any way to force the commit to happen, even if the script
> doesn't like it?  Can the script edit the commit message, even?  ie if
> there's no git commit --ignore-prehook type option, could it see if the
> first line is FORCE or something, edit that out and commit?  This will
> catch the poorly formed commit messages without being a big burden on
> people doing things that don't fit well into the "module: summary" model
> (that said, lib*-perl-native: Convert to BBCLASSEXTEND as a first line
> makes sense to me).

My worry with editing a commit at push time is, the user's local repository
now no longer matches upstream.  One would hope a rebase would intelligently
handle it, but from a configuration management perspective I don't think
modifying commits behind the user's back is a very sane thing.

Now, if you did this locally at commit time rather than push time, I think
that would be less crazy, but unfortunately a clone can't bring along hooks
:\
--
Chris Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com