[oe] Difficulties building java

Mark Butsch mbutsch at syntech-fuelmaster.com
Fri Jan 29 20:58:39 UTC 2010

on Thursday, January 28, 2010 6:05 AM, Henning Heinold wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 04:49:13PM -0500, Mark Butsch wrote:
> > I forgot to mention that I am using "stable/2009" branch.
>
> Hm seems stable branch is not in the right shape for java stuff.
> >
> > I have been trying different combinations of PREFERRED_PROVIDERS and VERSIONS with no success.
> >
> > I searched my openembedded email archive and found someone had a similar error back in June of 2009,
> > But there was no solution posted.
> >
> > I also found a wiki article that described using the Jalimo-Overlay to build OpenJDK, but I haven't had any
> > Success with it either.
> > Is the Jalimo-Overlay required to build Java in OE or only in certain cases?
>
> Only the openjdk recipes are left in the jalimo svn all other was merged into dev. So you might need
> a checkout before this merge for the stable oe branch to work.
> >
> > Still confused,
> >
> > Mark
>
> Sorry,
>
> we dont have yet the time to work on the stable branch to get java into shape.
>
> Bye Henning

Well, I switched over to using the "org.openembedded.dev" branch and did a "git pull" to make sure it was
Up to date.

I still get the same error when building "classpath". From the log.do_configure file:
-----
configure: WARNING: I have to compile Test.class from scratch
checking for ecj... ecj -warn:-deprecation,serial,unusedImport
checking if ecj -warn:-deprecation,serial,unusedImport is a version of gcj... directory does not exist: --version
checking if ecj -warn:-deprecation,serial,unusedImport works... yes
checking if java works... configure: error: The Java compiler ecj -warn:-deprecation,serial,unusedImport failed
   (see config.log, check the CLASSPATH?)
FATAL: oe_runconf failed
--------

I am using the following:

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/java-initial = "cacao-initial"
PREFFERED_VERSION_cacao-initial = "0.98"

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/java-native = "cacao-native"
PREFFERED_VERSION_cacao-native = "0.99.3"

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/javac-native = "ecj-bootstrap-native"
PREFFERED_VERSION_libecj-bootstrap = "3.4"

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_classpath = "classpath"
PREFFERED_VERSION_classpath-initial = "0.93"
PREFFERED_VERSION_classpath-native = "0.97.2"

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_swt3.4-gtk = "swt3.4-gtk"

PREFFERED_VERSION_cacao= "0.99.4"
PREFFERED_VERSION_classpath= "0.98"

Are these a good combination? I am building on an x86-64 machine for i686 target with Angstrom as my distro.

Suggestions on what to try/investigate?

Thanks in advance,

Mark