[oe] packaged staging issue; additional packages

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 12:18:38 UTC 2010

I seem to have found an issue with packaged staging.
I'll try to describe the problem, but maybe my understanding is not
100% so bear with me in that case

What happens is that I wanted to rebuild console-image from packaged staging.

This failed with the following errors:

Collected errors:
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package task-base.
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package psplash-angstrom.
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package psplash-zap.
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package task-base-extended.
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies
for initscripts:
 * satisfy_dependencies_for:    update-rc.d *
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package initscripts.
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for udev:
 * satisfy_dependencies_for:    update-rc.d *
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package udev.
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies
for sysvinit:
 * satisfy_dependencies_for:    sysvinit-inittab *
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package sysvinit.
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package angstrom-feed-configs.

I've focused myself on this one:

 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package udev.
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies
for sysvinit:
 * satisfy_dependencies_for:    sysvinit-inittab *
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package sysvinit.

What seems to be the case here is the following:
sysvinit bb file contains the following:

RDEPENDS_${PN} = "${PN}-inittab"

PACKAGES =+ "bootlogd ${PN}-inittab"
FILES_bootlogd = "/etc/init.d/bootlogd /etc/init.d/stop-bootlogd
/etc/rc?.d/S*bootlogd /sbin/bootlogd"
FILES_${PN}-inittab = "${sysconfdir}/inittab"

So it generates the sysvinit-inittab package and RDEPENDS on it.

If I search for inittab in my work/sysvinit dir I get:
./inittab
./sysvinit-2.86/man/inittab.5
./staging-pkg/staging/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/share/man/man5/inittab.5
./staging-pkg/pkgdata/beagleboard-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/runtime/sysvinit-inittab
./staging-pkg/pkgdata/beagleboard-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/runtime/sysvinit-inittab.packaged
./sysroot-destdir/home/frans/oe/tmp_angstrom/staging/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/share/man/man5/inittab.5
./packages-split/sysvinit-inittab
./packages-split/sysvinit-inittab/etc
./packages-split/sysvinit-inittab/etc/inittab
./packages-split/sysvinit-doc/usr/share/man/man5/inittab.5
./package/etc/inittab
./package/usr/share/man/man5/inittab.5
./image/etc/inittab
./image/usr/share/man/man5/inittab.5

So the file inittab does not end up in packaged staging.

It seems to me that packaged-staging.bbclass needs some work and that
something like staging_packager needs to be involved for all packages
in a recipe.
Howeever, implementing this is beyond my python capabilities and also
beyond my understanding of the build system.

Is my analysis correct?
Can someone implement something or provide some guidance?

Frans