[oe] 'Generic' x86 build

Chris Tapp dokuwiki at keylevel.com
Thu Jul 1 22:17:11 UTC 2010

I've spent the past couple of weeks trying to get a build that will
work on generic pc hardware (board is alix, but 'regular' linux
distros run ok), but I've not found a combination that builds and then
runs correctly.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a distro/machine pair that
should give me this?

I've tried:

minimal    / alix  console-image : builds ok  but /sbin/init isn't
found at boot even though it's in the image.
angstrom / x86  console-image : builds ok but the inittab in the image
doesn't work with busybox and needs to be replaced in the initrd.
Suffers from 'swapper' not going idle.

Various other distro/machine pairs that I've tried simply fail to
build - I guess because they're not designed to work together?

Any clues will be gratefully received :-)

Chris