[oe] OpenJDK recipes merged

Robert Schuster thebohemian at gmx.net
Fri Jul 9 10:30:06 UTC 2010

Behold!

Henning merged all the OpenJDK-related recipes which means that from now
on it is not necessary anymore to use the Jalimo overlays for those. I
know that some people were nearly giving up on whether this happens
anytime but if you have a look at the actual files you'll see that an
OpenJDK-build is a complex beast and that is true although there is
already a fine harness called IcedTea around it, that takes a great
share of making the build process simpler.

I personally thank the cool guys at *BugLabs* who are sponsoring the
latest improvements! Everyone else: Go buy more Bugs. :-)

I will soon update the 'Java' page in our wiki and describe how the
build process works. It might also happen that I give a talk at this
year's frOScon (St. Augustin, Germany) about it. AFAIU Ken Gilmer of
BugLabs fame will do the same at this years JavaOne.

Caveats: While the recipes are fine and I think the packaging is of very
high quality, we are experiencing some instability issues with
jamvm-initial which can make it spontaneously crash and therefore let
the OpenJDK build fail. We're on it.

Btw: I was once told by Sun people that building the JDK on an ARM
device takes around 24hrs (!!). A build of the 'openjdk-6' recipe itself
(no dependencies) is around half an hour. Cool?

Enjoy!
Robert