[oe] [Bitbake-dev] A new bitbake extension: .bbappend files

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Fri Jul 16 16:16:50 UTC 2010

It basically solves the same problem.  It's slightly less flexible, in that
it has to apply to a specific .bb, whereas an amend.inc can apply to any
version of a recipe, etc, depending on where it resides in the FILESPATH,
but amend.inc cannot be integrated into bitbake without a performance
impact, because we don't necessarily know the FILESPATH until after the
finalizing steps at the end of the parsing process, and then it has to
re-finalize after the amend.inc is parsed, to ensure its anonymous python
functions are executed.  The advantage to this is its simplicity in
implementation and the miniscule performance impact.  One slight concern is
its assumption that the basename of the filename is unique, but I expect
that's okay in most real world cases.

I hope to spend some time poking at this today.

-Chris