[oe] angstrom-2008.1, uclibc: git-native: sysroot-destdir 6, 4 GB big, since some executables are 100 MB each

Phil Blundell philb at gnu.org
Sat Jul 17 17:17:56 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-07-17 at 14:17 +0200, Koen Kooi wrote:
> And I was saying that the 8GB of git, if a bug in git, not with gdb3. I
> know gdb3 makes unstripped executables bigger and don't deny that.
>
> I do take offence with you saying that the root cause is -ggdb3, when
> it's actually git being buggy. And as you have seen, instead of fixing
> git, people are removing -ggdb3 :(

It may well be true that the 8GB total folder size is due to a
deficiency in git.  But, if the individual binaries are coming out at
101MB, that's still an increase of something like 10000% compared to an
equivalent build without debugging.

Obviously it's up to angstrom to make its own policies, but I do wonder
how many of its users actually find themselves debugging -native
packages on a regular basis and, for those that do, how much benefit
they are really gaining from -ggdb3 versus plain -g.

p.