[oe] [RFC] New stable branch (and maybe a new process?)

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Jul 20 10:01:26 UTC 2010

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010, Chris Simmonds wrote:

> On 20/07/10 08:01, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > On Fri, 2010-07-09 at 22:40, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> > >
> > > I want to gather some feedback what people are feeling about a new stable
> > > branch. It feels like the right time to do it soon. We have so many big
> > > changes
> > > in that are not likely to get into stable/2009 like:
> >
> > > From the silence on this topic I gather that the interest to create a new
> > > branch
> > or change the process is quite low.
> >

> I would like to vote for a 2010 stable branch. There is a lot of
> good stuff in the dev branch that I would like to use in live
> projects.

  i second that, with the proviso that the primary focus for that
new stable branch be on resolving any unbuildable packages for major
distros.  as i've whined about before, there always seems to be a
package or two from the dev branch that doesn't build on my standard
64-bit ubuntu system (last time i checked, it was abiword).  i just
did a git pull on the dev branch and am checking again to see what
fails.

  not to belabour the point, but if a new branch is created and tagged
as "stable," it should build for anyone using any of the common
distros.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca