[oe] RDEPENDS_${PN} overwrites RDEPENDS_foo - bug or feature?

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Tue Jul 20 21:27:52 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 1:04 PM, Stanislav Brabec <utx at penguin.cz> wrote:

> While verifying all aspects of proposed udev change, I experienced a
> strange behavior of an udev recipe with RDEPENDS_udev:
>
> RDEPENDS_udev is always ignored. Searching in deep, I found that
> RDEPENDS_${PN} defined in update-rc.d.bbclass overwrites RDEPENDS_udev.
>
> Once RDEPENDS_${PN} is defined, RDEPENDS_udev has no effect.
>
> Is it a bug or documented feature?

Neither, it's just the way bitbake works today.  When the name of a variable
includes references to other variables like this, they aren't expanded until
the end of the parsing, and if a variable already existed with the new name,
it gets overwritten.  One could argue that bitbake should error in this
case, but that wouldn't happen anytime soon due to the change in behavior.
 It wouldn't go into 1.10, but whatever comes after that, and 1.10 isn't
even out yet.

In the meantime, you can check for this.  INHERIT += "recipe_sanity", then
bitbake -c recipe_sanity udev, or bitbake -c recipe_sanity_all udev to check
it and its dependencies.
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com