[oe] Is it possible to have variables that contain line breaks for module_conf

Ron Zachariah ron_zach at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 22 22:51:58 UTC 2010

I am trying to have a variable that contains a line break in it.  When I use '\n' it seems to just print out the literal characters '\' 'n' and not a line break.

The context for this is I want to create a module_conf for my device that contains more than one line in it.

In my machine.conf file I have something like
module_conf_testa = """install testa /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install testa force_testa=0,0x74; \
echo "1" > /sys/devices/plb.0/.../item1; \
echo "2" > /sys/devices/plb.0/.../item2 \
\
\n\nremove  testa /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove testa"""

But when I look at the result /etc/modprobe.d/testa file there is only 1 line with explicit '\' 'n' characters.
Is there some syntax I can use to make these appear on seperate lines?

Thanks
Ron