[oe] [RFC] get rid of legacy staging

Detlef Vollmann dv at vollmann.ch
Sat Jul 24 15:05:09 UTC 2010

On 07/24/10 16:35, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
> 2010/7/24 Martyn Welch <martyn at welchs.me.uk>
>
>> Can anyone point me to any documentation that describes what legacy staging
>> is and roughly what needs to be done to remove it?

> There was a post half a year or so ago from Koen, but I can't find it.
> Basically it boils down to removing do_stage from a recipe in which case
> do_install is used to install things in staging
> in some cases do_install need to be modified to deal with peculiarities that
> were done in do_stage
>
> For native recipes NATIVE_INSTALL_WORKS = "1" may need to be added.
That's not really much of an explanation.
Let's take an example.  I have two out of tree kernel modules A and B.
B depends on A.
With "legacy" staging, in A_1.0.bb I have a do_install, that copies
the kernel object, and a do_stage, that copies the header file at
a place where B_1.0.bb can find it.

How do I do that with non-"legacy" staging?

   Detlef