[oe] OE recipe tree quality

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 10:32:04 UTC 2010

Wrt the message of Thomas and the blacklisting
Maybe I'll try minimal later on.

Wrt Koen's message, see below:

2010/7/29 Koen Kooi <k.kooi at student.utwente.nl>

> On 29-07-10 10:50, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > Given the discussions on quality that sometimes pop up (and also
> triggered
> > by Robert's message), I decided to kick off a bitbake -k world.
>
> Could you first explain to me why 'bitbake world' is a good way to
> measure quality?

> I would think that building something like console-image and looking at
> the following would be a much better metric:
>
> * does it build?
> * are all the rootfs types working?
> * does the image do what it is supposed to do?
> * Are all the licenses of the output packages correct?
> * Do the output packages have any spurious deps?
> * Is the content of the output packages correct?
> * Are there any known CVEs in the resulting packages?
> * Did packaged-staging do its job?
> * What kind of QA errors and warnings were raised?
> * Did all recipes pass recipe_sanity?
> * Did all recipes conform to oe-stylize.py?

That is a fine set of criteria, but the focus of this exercise is not to
look at the recipes that are often build and that work.
What I want is buildable recipes. A recipe that does not build in my opinion
is useless and should either be fixed or removed.

There is a lot of crud in recipes, and the objective of this exercise was to
identify what junk there is around there and call for action on it.
You probably do not care if there is a non-buildable recipe around, but I
(and I guess others) do.

We as openembedded deliver a set of recipes. If a substantial amount of
recipes does not build that gives a bad perception of the quality of the
environment.
Apart from I perceive every non-buildable recipe as a bug.

My two cents...

> etc
>
> I would actually advocate removing the 'world' feature from bitbake/OE
> to stop people from wasting time on looking at bitbake world and have
> them fix actual problems.

Yeah. Shoot the messenger and hide the problem under the carpet.

For me removing world from bitbake/OE would be a no no.

And I must say that I am kind a surprised that you don't consider a non
buildable recipe as an actual problem.
I (and I hope others as well) do.

And wrt time:
Fortunately it is up to me  and not up to you to decide on how I waste my
time (even though in this case I do not feel it wasted, and the actual
amount of time invested in it is pretty small, it are mostly unused CPU
cycles that are used up by this).

Enjoy!
Frans.