[oe] OE recipe tree quality

Esben Haabendal esbenhaabendal at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 07:21:03 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Philip Balister <philip at balister.org> wrote:

> On 07/29/2010 05:45 AM, Koen Kooi wrote:

>> On 29-07-10 10:50, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> Given the discussions on quality that sometimes pop up (and also
>>> triggered
>>> by Robert's message), I decided to kick off a bitbake -k world.
>>
>> Could you first explain to me why 'bitbake world' is a good way to
>> measure quality?
>>
>> I would think that building something like console-image and looking at
>> the following would be a much better metric:
>>
>> * does it build?
>> * are all the rootfs types working?
>> * does the image do what it is supposed to do?
>> * Are all the licenses of the output packages correct?
>> * Do the output packages have any spurious deps?
>> * Is the content of the output packages correct?
>> * Are there any known CVEs in the resulting packages?
>> * Did packaged-staging do its job?
>> * What kind of QA errors and warnings were raised?
>> * Did all recipes pass recipe_sanity?
>> * Did all recipes conform to oe-stylize.py?
>>
>> etc
>>
>> I would actually advocate removing the 'world' feature from bitbake/OE
>> to stop people from wasting time on looking at bitbake world and have
>> them fix actual problems.
>
> bitbake world seems to be the source of pointless listserv discussions. Does
> it serve any purpose?

Pointless or not really depends on how you look at quality.

If you look at it as you, Koen and other OE long-timers, yes, it looks
rather pointless to have bitbake world.
But for those of us who have a different view on what quality is, then
bitbake world serves a purpose.
It can be used to get a rough picture of the current quality, and if
it were accepted, even use it to clean up OE and thus raise the
quality according to our quality measurement.

So the actual discussion that is popping up (again), what the common
quality goals for OE is.
And that should hopefully not be seen as a pointless discussion.
Hopefully, it will be a continous discussion, from now on and forever.

/Esben
--
Esben Haabendal, Senior Software Consultant
DoréDevelopment ApS, Ved Stranden 1, 9560 Hadsund, DK-Denmark
Phone: +45 51 92 53 93, E-mail: eha at doredevelopment.dk
WWW: http://www.doredevelopment.dk