[oe] Is Angstrom dead?

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Wed Jun 2 11:00:48 UTC 2010

On 06/01/2010 06:30 PM, Graham Gower wrote:
> On 2 June 2010 00:51, Gary Thomas<gary at mlbassoc.com>  wrote:
>>
>> I reran my build and it passed through (no repository changes).
>> This particular problem seems to be a multi-threaded build (I run
>> with BB_NUMBER_THREADS = "4")
>>
>> Sadly, the final image still does not build:
>>
>> | log_check: Matched keyword: [Cannot satisfy the following dependencies]
>> | Collected errors:
>> |  * resolve_conffiles: Existing conffile
>> /local/Angstrom_BeagleBoard/tmp/rootfs/beagleboard-linuxtag2010-demo-image/etc/device_table
>> is different from the conffile in the new package. The new conffile will be
>> placed at /local/Angstrom_BeagleBoard/tmp/rootfs/b *
>> satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for
>> angstrom-task-gnome:
>> |  *    encodings *     encodings *     encodings *
>> |
>> NOTE: package beagleboard-linuxtag2010-demo-image-1.0-r0: task do_rootfs:
>> Failed
>>
>> I don't understand this error well enough (believe me, I've
>> spent hours reading the various recipes and trying things)
>> to hazard a guess as to what this error means.
>>

> Not understanding the error is probably because most of this error
> message comes from opkg (which is a heap of crap) and part of it has
> been truncated.
>
> The first bit:
>> |  * resolve_conffiles: Existing conffile
>> /local/Angstrom_BeagleBoard/tmp/rootfs/beagleboard-linuxtag2010-demo-image/etc/device_table
>> is different from the conffile in the new package. The new conffile will be
>> placed at /local/Angstrom_BeagleBoard/tmp/rootfs/b
>
> This indicates that multiple packages are trying to provide the
> /etc/device_table config file. The message has been truncated at 256
> chars - even the '\n' has been stripped so it runs on to the next
> error.
>
> I've just bumped this limit to 4096 in upstream opkg, so longer errors
> should be more readable.

Yes, your change improved the readability of the messages, thanks.

That said, I'm not sure that this first part is such a problem as it also
happens when building 'beagleboard-demo-image' that does succeed.  Looking
at the results, I see these files:

$ \ls tmp/rootfs/beagleboard-*-image/etc/device_table* -l
-rw-rw-r-- 1 gthomas gthomas 1378 Jun  1 07:37 tmp/rootfs/beagleboard-demo-image/etc/device_table
-rwxr-xr-x 1 gthomas gthomas 6666 May 22 21:17 tmp/rootfs/beagleboard-demo-image/etc/device_table-opkg
-rw-rw-r-- 1 gthomas gthomas 1378 Jun  2 04:35 tmp/rootfs/beagleboard-linuxtag2010-demo-image/etc/device_table
-rwxr-xr-x 1 gthomas gthomas 6666 May 22 21:17 tmp/rootfs/beagleboard-linuxtag2010-demo-image/etc/device_table-opkg

This implies that the same conditions exist for both beagleboard-demo-image
and beagleboard-linuxtag2010-demo-image, so I'm not sure why in one case the
error checker catches it and the other not.

>> satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for
>> angstrom-task-gnome:
>> |  *    encodings *     encodings *     encodings *
>
> Package "angstrom-task-gnome" depends on Package "encodings", but it
> cannot be found in the list of available packages. I have no idea why
> its listed three times.

I also don't understand this one as those packages are most
certainly there:

$ tmp/sysroots/i686-linux/usr/bin/opkg-cl -f tmp/rootfs/beagleboard-linuxtag2010-demo-image/etc/opkg/opkg.conf -o tmp/rootfs/beagleboard-linuxtag2010-demo-image list 'encodings*'
encodings - 1:1.0.3-r1.0.5 - Version 1.0.3-r1.0 of package encodings
encodings-dbg - 1:1.0.3-r1.0.5 - Version 1.0.3-r1.0 of package encodings
encodings-dev - 1:1.0.3-r1.0.5 - Version 1.0.3-r1.0 of package encodings

What am I missing?