[oe] Opkg removing not-really-orphaned files during opkg upgrade

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 11:15:48 UTC 2010

Hi,

few times I've run to strange issues with missing files after opkg
upgrade, now I have simple case there I can guess what happened. Please
comment if I'm doing something wrong or if it's known issue (but not
fixed because it's to hard without changing lot of opkg internals?).

/etc/pointercal.xinput is now installed by package pointercal-xinput and
not xinput-calibrator
http://git.openembedded.org/cgit.cgi/openembedded/commit/?id=fb641200b65b3d3c465332efb1febab7001eff47

The problem which needs your manual intervention is when you see:
Upgrading xinput-calibrator on root from 0.6.1-r1.4 to 0.6.1-r7.0.4...
Downloading
http://build.shr-project.org/tests/shr-unstable/ipk//armv4t/xinput-calibrator_0.6.1-r7.0.4_armv4t.ipk.
Installing pointercal-xinput (0.0-r0.4) to root...
Downloading
http://build.shr-project.org/tests/shr-unstable/ipk//om-gta02/pointercal-xinput_0.0-r0.4_om-gta02.ipk.
Not deleting modified conffile /etc/pointercal.xinput.
Configuring pointercal-xinput.
Configuring xinput-calibrator.
Collected errors:
 * file_md5sum_alloc: Failed to open file /etc/pointercal.xinput: No such file or directory.

Then opkg upgraded xinput-calibrator to version without
pointercal.xinput and in the same batch installed new pointercal-xinput
package providing the same file. And in the end removed
/etc/pointercal.xinput file because it was "orphaned" from
xinput-calibrator packages :/.

Best way to fix this is to call
opkg install -force-reinstall pointercal-xinput
after opkg upgrade.

opkg remove xinput-calibrator; opkg install xinput-calibrator; should
probably also "upgrade" xinput-calibrator properly.

Reagards,

uin:136542059                jid:Martin.Jansa at gmail.com
Jansa Martin                 sip:jamasip at voip.wengo.fr
JaMa