[oe] srctree status

Cliff Brake cliff.brake at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 19:28:19 UTC 2010

Below is a list of know issues with srctree.  I'm testing with the
following source/recipe:

http://cgit.bec-systems.com/cgit.cgi/autotools-demo/

To build:

cd <oe>/recipes
git clone git://git.bec-systems.com/autotools-demo
cd -
bitbake autotools-demo

Below are bitbake changes that are needed:
http://cgit.bec-systems.com/cgit.cgi/bitbake/log/?h=cbrake/1.10-srctree-fixes
(2 patches)

And the following OE changes are needed:
http://cgit.bec-systems.com/cgit.cgi/openembedded/log/?h=2010-06-02_srctree-fix
(1 patch)

There also seems to be an issue in that DEPENDS are not processed
correctly.  I tried the following srctree based recipe:
http://cgit.bec-systems.com/cgit.cgi/qt-overo-palo-gpio/tree/qt-overo-palo-gpio.bb

and bitbake was running the configure task for the above recipe before
the DEPEND's had built (qt-tools, etc).  It seems the DEPENDS variable
is getting set correctly:

DEPENDS="qt4-tools-native qt4-embedded coreutils-native
virtual/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-gcc virtual/libc"

But, perhaps not being processed.

Chris offered the following on IRC:
13:42 < kergoth_> if you aren't using a native or cross version of the
recipe, then you can confidently say you don't need it to do it
13:43 < kergoth_> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/112715/Files/inscm-1.tar.bz2
was what i was experimenting with when i created the class
13:44 < kergoth_> had shasum-native and m4-native going, so needed that code
13:44 < kergoth_> take a look at the class, the merge_tasks function
13:45 < kergoth_> this was also written prior to the new style staging
stuff, so it may need tweaking
13:45 < kergoth_> it explicitly runs do_stage, which isn't likely what
we want it doing

So, thats it :-)

I'd really like to get this going as I think it would make OE a lot
more usable for people building products, as well as anyone who is
doing iterative development on a package that needs to be routinely
compiled for the target system.

Thanks,
Cliff