[oe] psplash vs. psplash-$DISTRO

Andrea Adami andrea.adami at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 21:54:10 UTC 2010

Hello,

building console-image for minimal distro I receive the following warning:

IMHO we have an issue with psplash-zap:
RRECOMMENDS_${PN} = "psplash-angstrom"
should probably be
RRECOMMENDS_${PN} = "${SPLASH}"

But here we have a new issue: not all distro are defining $SPLASH, in
particular look at the images using ZZSPLASH:
( from  http://fr.pastebin.ca/1876829 )

./console-base-image.bb:ZZAPSPLASH = '
${@base_contains("MACHINE_FEATURES", "screen", "psplash-zap", "",d)}'
./gnuradio-image.bb:ZZAPSPLASH = '
${@base_contains("MACHINE_FEATURES", "screen", "psplash-zap", "",d)}'

Now, for a distro using that images *does not* define $SPLASH, what happens is:

./image.bbclass:# set sane default for the SPLASH variable
./image.bbclass:SPLASH ?= ""

At first I thought to fix psplash-zap_1.0.bb but this would break some
distro/image combination...
In theory all distro should support all kind of images, with and
without splashscreen...

Confused

Andrea