[oe] Opkg removing not-really-orphaned files during opkg upgrade

Graham Gower graham.gower at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 01:14:07 UTC 2010

On 2 June 2010 20:45, Martin Jansa <martin.jansa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> few times I've run to strange issues with missing files after opkg
> upgrade, now I have simple case there I can guess what happened. Please
> comment if I'm doing something wrong or if it's known issue (but not
> fixed because it's to hard without changing lot of opkg internals?).
>
> /etc/pointercal.xinput is now installed by package pointercal-xinput and
> not xinput-calibrator
> http://git.openembedded.org/cgit.cgi/openembedded/commit/?id=fb641200b65b3d3c465332efb1febab7001eff47
>
> The problem which needs your manual intervention is when you see:
> Upgrading xinput-calibrator on root from 0.6.1-r1.4 to 0.6.1-r7.0.4...
> Downloading
> http://build.shr-project.org/tests/shr-unstable/ipk//armv4t/xinput-calibrator_0.6.1-r7.0.4_armv4t.ipk.
> Installing pointercal-xinput (0.0-r0.4) to root...
> Downloading
> http://build.shr-project.org/tests/shr-unstable/ipk//om-gta02/pointercal-xinput_0.0-r0.4_om-gta02.ipk.
> Not deleting modified conffile /etc/pointercal.xinput.
> Configuring pointercal-xinput.
> Configuring xinput-calibrator.
> Collected errors:
>  * file_md5sum_alloc: Failed to open file /etc/pointercal.xinput: No such file or directory.
>
> Then opkg upgraded xinput-calibrator to version without
> pointercal.xinput and in the same batch installed new pointercal-xinput
> package providing the same file. And in the end removed
> /etc/pointercal.xinput file because it was "orphaned" from
> xinput-calibrator packages :/.
>
> Best way to fix this is to call
> opkg install -force-reinstall pointercal-xinput
> after opkg upgrade.
>
> opkg remove xinput-calibrator; opkg install xinput-calibrator; should
> probably also "upgrade" xinput-calibrator properly.
>
> Reagards,
>
> --
> uin:136542059                jid:Martin.Jansa at gmail.com
> Jansa Martin                 sip:jamasip at voip.wengo.fr
> JaMa

Hi Martin,
Sorry for the late reply... I didn't want to respond until I'd had
some time to analyse the problem.

I've added a bug report for this in opkg's issue tracker
http://code.google.com/p/opkg/issues/detail?id=50 and committed a fix
for the test case I came up with. Can you confirm that this fixes the
bug you are experiencing?

Thanks,
-Graham