[oe] TSC Meetings for the meeting of June

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Wed Jun 9 14:57:56 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 6:53 AM, Frans Meulenbroeks <
fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/6/9 Holger Freyther <holger+oe at freyther.de <holger%2Boe at freyther.de>
> >:
> > We were carrying the org.openembedd.dev branch name from the monotone
> > era into the git era and the TSC was asked to consider renaming it to
> > 'master' which is the git default for the main development tree. Now the
> > actual change on the server will be minor what is of a bigger concern
> > are the existing users and documentation.
>
> Technically speaking I think we should have run an RFC for this before
> it was brought to the table of the TSC.
>
> Personally the org.openembedded.dev branch name does not bother me
> although I know master is the 'standard' git name.
> Afaik renaming does not really solve a problem.

Personally, I have to type it at least a few times a day, it gets old, and I
think its time we ditched monotone remnants where we're able to do so.

I am not too sure how much this affects the current users. Actually I
> doubt if the change is bigger than the packages -> recipes renaming
> Isse is that if we do that we should make sure all relevant
> documentation is updated, otherwise we only create confusion (which
> might still creep up as people use old mailing list articles).
>
> Considering this, I am in favour of keeping things as they are.

If we implement this, I don't really see a problem doing it for the users:

--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com