[oe] [RFC] add ubuntu patch which adds atomic builtin support to gcc 4.3.[3 but also other microversions]

Robert Schuster thebohemian at gmx.net
Wed Jun 16 07:27:50 UTC 2010

Hi,
Angstrom's default GCC is 4.3.3 for ARM. Unfortunately that version
lacks atomic intrinsics support for the very same architecture
(__sync_synchronize and friends). The support is available from 4.4.x
onwards but a patch exists in Ubuntu's GCC that adds the intrinsics to
the earlier GCC version. I would like add that patch to our GCC 4.3.x
(all of them so there is not suddenly a feature missing when one changes
from one microversion to another). This has the potential for drastic
effects on other recipes because a lot of programs (e.g. pulseaudio,
llvm) check for the availability of the intrinsics and make use of them
in that case.

I ask for comments here because I would also like to see this change
move into OE stable later on. (The use case is to get OpenJDK with the
Shark JIT compiler [llvm-based] to run on the bug20 hardware).

Regards,
Robert