[oe] problem with SHLIBs and RDEPENDS

Robert Schuster thebohemian at gmx.net
Thu Jun 17 08:18:17 UTC 2010

Hi,
I am trying to make the OpenJDK recipes 'OE ready'. One hard issue I am
facing has to do with the shlibs mechanism in OE.

In order to get OpenJDKs dependencies right its libraries and binaries
are checked for library dependencies. That is all fine and I would love
to activate that.

Actually we have three kinds of OpenJDK builds atm:
 - zero (interpreter only; but with enhancements on ARM to make it fly)
 - shark (zero interpreter plus JIT based on LLVM)
 - cacao (completely different runtime)

The binary version of those recipes all bring a libjvm.so. Theoretically
a user could install all three packages (you can do that in
Debian/Ubuntu for example). However when the shlibs mechanism is
activated it puts the first built openjdk variant into a registry and
all subsequent variants get a hard runtime dependency on that package
(e.g. openjdk-shark will depend on openjdk-zero if I built zero first)
although there is no technical reason for this.

So my question is: How can I solve this issue without resorting to:

EXCLUDE_FROM_SHLIBS = "1"

which I currently use and which has the bad side-effect of not having
openjdk's own dependencies. :(

Regards,
Robert