[oe] introducing a new architecture/machine; policy ? (and a question)

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 09:58:50 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm about to complete bringing a new architecture (nios2 with mmu) and
machine (cyclone III FPGA starter kit, and maybe also the Nios2
Embeddeded Evaluation Kit (aka neek)) to oe.
Is there a policy on on the process how to do this.

Changes are fairly localised:
- add suport to binutils for the new architecture (currently based
upon binutils 2.17.50.0.12)
- add support to gcc for the new architecture (based upon gcc 4.1.2)
- added a kernel recipe (and a linux-libc-headers recipe for 2.6.34)
- some hardware specific changes to glibc 2.5

And some smaller changes (e.g. adding the machines, adding the
architecture to insane.bbclass and siteinfo.class, and a small patch
or two on other recipes (mainly busybox)).

Can I just commit these? It does not impact other architectures/machines.
Patches are fairly big (because of the new files that contain the
machine specific stuff), so posting them is impractical
If someone wants to review I can also make a branch, but this is only
useful if someone is actually going to review this (volunteers
welcome).

Please advise.

Some concluding remarks:
Only a minor part of the work is mine. Most comes from the nios2 git
(git://sopc.et.ntust.edu.tw/git/toolchain-mmu.git). The stuff on that
git is based upon a windriver version of the csl toolchain.
My activity was mostly isolating the nios2 specific stuff and create
patches for mainstream package versions.
That is also the reason why it is based upon old versions of
gcc/binutils/glibc: I didn't want to deviate too much from what is in
the git.

BTW: as nios2 is a programmable core, there may be different variants.
So you need to program the board with the appropriate .sof file.
The one I used for neek is the one found here:
http://www.nioswiki.com/Try_out_without_compilation
Should I put this sof file somewhere in the oe tree? No idea if this
is legally ok, and no idea where to put it.
Or should I put a reference somewhere? (and if so, where?)

Suggestions welcome!

Have fun! Frans