[oe] [RFC] patch file location

Marcin Juszkiewicz marcin at juszkiewicz.com.pl
Tue Jun 22 07:30:28 UTC 2010

Dnia wtorek, 22 czerwca 2010 o 09:03:43 Frans Meulenbroeks napisał(a):
> I'd like to draw the attention to the location of patch files.
> My original understanding was that these should be in either the files
> dir (if they apply to all), or in a dir with the name of the recipe
> (replacing the _ with a - ).
>
> And I kind-a assumed that if a patch is in a recipe dir it would have
> priority above a version in the files dir.

This is controlled by FILESPATHPKG and OVERRIDES.

> Frankly speaking I have no clue at all which version of the patch will
> be used by the 2.10.1 recipe.

glibc-2.4/ one - check FILESPATHPKG setting in glibc_2.10.1.bb recipe.

> The only ways to find out is to study the class code that does the patch or
> to actually build the package (in the hope it selects the patch in a
> deterministic way).

I did "grep FILES glibc/*" to find out.

> I don't think it is good that if someone is debugging a problem that they
> should have such a hard time to find out what version of a file is
> actually used

> My proposal:
> - only apply patches (seek for patches) in the recipe dir (e.g. in the
> example for glibc_2.10.1.bb this would be glibc-2.10.1) and in the
> files directory

It is not only patches. It is everything in SRC_URI. And we have this
mechanism since beginning.

> (optionally we might allow for a mechanism that allows specifying
> patches for higher level recipes; e.g. glibc_2.10.1 could look in
> glibc-2.10.1, glibc-2.10, glibc-2, glibc and files).

We have such mechanism already - it is FILESPATHPKG and related vars.

> How do people feel about this? Any implementation hints?

Why implement when it is already implemented?

Regards,
JID:      hrw at jabber.org
Website:  http://marcin.juszkiewicz.com.pl/
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcinjuszkiewicz