[oe] introducing a new architecture/machine; policy ? (and a question)

Tom Rini tom_rini at mentor.com
Wed Jun 23 17:18:54 UTC 2010

Khem Raj wrote:

> some architectures may not support particular version of say gcc but
> still if that architecture is supported by a given distro then it should
> define the required version of say gcc in distro.conf with override
>
> for instance check conf/distro/include/sane-toolchain.inc which is serving
> a few distributions overrides default compiler versions for AVR32
> you need to do something same for nios2

In short, some of us would love it if we could all rely on either
sane-toolchain.inc or at least everyone using the same variables for
picking a toolchain so that the "We must use x/y/z tools" could move to
tune-ARCH.inc.  But there's probably some issue that doesn't come to
mind with moving that override control to the machine level.

--
Tom Rini
Mentor Graphics Corporation