[oe] introducing a new architecture/machine; policy ? (and a question)

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 19:55:35 UTC 2010

2010/6/23 Khem Raj <raj.khem at gmail.com>:
> On (23/06/10 13:16), Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:

>> > Think of multimachine builds. What happens when someone else adds
>> > *another* nios2 based machine with different toolchain versions, how do
>> > I know which toolchain avahi_1.0_nios2.ipk was compiled with
>>
>> If toolchain is interesting to know in ipk's it should be part of the name.
>> And note that I am really in favour of an architecture specific
>> solution, not a machine one.
>> That is why I used an include file to contain the pinnings.
>>
>> And actually the situation with nios2 is much much worse.
>> As it is a soft-core people can come up with all kind of variants.
>> (e.g. with/without fp).
>
> not new. Other arches have similar variants already in OE

I know, but at least in those architectures if you have a board the
situation is static.
In fpga's capable of having a nios2 machine, it is still possible to
load different configurations.
As such it is different from everything we have (as far as I know we
have no microblaze boards yet).

>> Actually nios2 adds pragma's to gcc to select
>> which instructions are there and which not.
>
> Well I would have preferred commandline options that way you could
> have many variants and we could have overrides like we have arm sub-arches

You would indeed get many variants and many options.
Anyway, the code I started with had the pragma's.There were other
higher priority things to dig into (like getting it to compile on 64
bit hw).

Frans