[oe] [RFC} cleanup glibc

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 20:02:15 UTC 2010

Triggered by a short discussion on irc with woglinde, I would like to
suggest the following cleanup actions for glibc.

1. rewrite the recipes so they do not use patches in the dir of
another version. Better copy those. That makes clearer who uses what,
and avoids problems if a recipe is removed.
(btw if people are against having copies, I suggest to put common
patches in a dir whose name actually resembles it is for multiple
versions e.g. glibc-2.4-2.5 or so)
2. remove some old recipes that are not pinned. Reason for removing
them is that it reduces the amount of work needed for step 1

currently we have:

glibc-initial_2.10.1.bb
glibc-initial_2.2.5.bb
glibc-initial_2.3.2+cvs20040726.bb
glibc-initial_2.3.2.bb
glibc-initial_2.3.6.bb
glibc-initial_2.4.bb
glibc-initial_2.5.bb
glibc-initial_2.6.1.bb
glibc-initial_2.7.bb
glibc-initial_2.9.bb
glibc-initial_cvs.bb
glibc_2.10.1.bb
glibc_2.2.5.bb
glibc_2.3.2+cvs20040726.bb
glibc_2.3.2.bb
glibc_2.3.3+cvs20041128.bb
glibc_2.3.3+cvs20050221.bb
glibc_2.3.3+cvs20050420.bb
glibc_2.3.3.bb
glibc_2.3.5+cvs20050627.bb
glibc_2.3.6.bb
glibc_2.4.bb
glibc_2.5.bb
glibc_2.6.1.bb
glibc_2.7.bb
glibc_2.9.bb
glibc_cvs.bb

suggestion is to remove the following versions because no one uses
them: (verified by grepping for them in conf/distro (with -r)

glibc-initial_2.3.2+cvs20040726.bb
glibc-initial_2.3.6.bb
glibc-initial_2.4.bb
glibc-initial_2.7.bb
glibc_2.3.2+cvs20040726.bb
glibc_2.3.3+cvs20041128.bb
glibc_2.3.3+cvs20050221.bb
glibc_2.3.3+cvs20050420.bb
glibc_2.3.6.bb
glibc_2.4.bb
glibc_2.7.bb

I think the following are also obsolete, but I would like to get
advise for these
glibc-initial_cvs.bb
glibc_cvs.bb

What do people think about this?