[oe] [RFC] recipes/images/${distro}

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Mon Mar 1 16:42:10 UTC 2010

On 03/01/2010 11:05 AM, Tom Rini wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-02-28 at 21:09 +0100, k.kooia wrote:

>>> I think you've just hit on a potentially great idea.  Say that
>>> 'openembedded' supports 'micro' and 'minimal' as two example
>>> distributions.  Move everyone else into their own distro overlay.  The
>>> only problem with this, perhaps, is easily adding the distro overlay
>>> itself into the right env vars. :(
>>
>> Move every distro out of OE, that way people need to set the overlays
>> correctly.
>>
>> This does mean that we abandon the "sharing" aspect that started OE
>> since every little "improvement" will be done in the distro overlay
>> instead of OE.
>
> Outside of the OE repo, no.  Outside of "conf/" yes.  And yes, this
> would require some re-org, perhaps.  Or perhaps not (and we make
> something like contrib/ but, I don't know, I suck at naming).  And yes,
> with an updated local.conf.sample, getting the overlay stuff right is
> trivial.
>
> But yes, not generically done at all improvements would end up in the
> distro overlay until someone wanted to fix it generically.
>
> Think of it this way, it would also make it easier to show how to make a
> "custom Angstrom" the right way, rather than cp
> conf/distro/angstrom-2008.1.conf conf/distro/mydistro.conf which I have
> gathered would be a good thing.

I am also in the all or nothing camp. If we leave any distro specific
data in the OE repository, people will continue to copy it and start
committing it back. Also, by leaving one or two distros in tree, people
will use them as test cases and catch issues that will impact the out of
tree distros.

Although there may be some short term pain, I believe this will have
long term benefits for the project.

Philip