[oe] using initramfs with openembedded.

C Michael Sundius msundius at sundius.com
Tue Mar 2 22:42:24 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 1:03 AM, Koen Kooi <k.kooi at student.utwente.nl>wrote:

> On 22-02-10 23:29, C Michael Sundius wrote:
> > We'd like to put our initial boottime file system into the initramfs in
> the
> > kernel. But we also need to build some separate drivers to put into that
> > filesystem image.
> >

> The common way right now is to use 2 kernel recipes. Not an optimal
> situation, but it will get you there.
>
> Back to this question, using two kernel recipes would create two machine
specific directories under tmp/work/

tmp/work/boot-kenrel/(kernel and modues)
tmp/work/run-time-kenrel/(kernel and modules)

so we'd still have to build all the modules twice too... is that right? I
guess we'd install the boot-modules into the initramfs, and throw away that
kernel.

then we'd link the initramfs into the runtime kenrel.

finally we'd install the runtime modules into the runtime filesystem....