[oe] [RFC] Make some big changes right after next stable

Tom Rini tom_rini at mentor.com
Wed Mar 3 16:30:19 UTC 2010

Hey all,

I'd like to see some comments on the following idea.

As many people know, there's a lot of "odd" internal things that OE
does, that if we had it to do over, we would do differently.  What I
would like to propose is that in time for the next stable branch we:
1: Define a set of DISTROs/MACHINEs/build targets that need to stay
working
2: In a separate branch (per big change), get one of these big, going to
leave some stuff broken changes
3: Define / document what needs to be done before these branches can be
merged back (something like #1 is working still, and if applicable a
guide to the common problems/how to fix people are going to run into).

What I'm getting at is that this would let us do things like rework the
"this is where we place things that we build other recipes with" concept
so that sysroot just works (and otherwise makes more sense again).  Or
"let us have more consistency in build with compared to what could end
up on device".  And so on.

What do people think?  And what would people work on?

--
Tom Rini <tom_rini at mentor.com>
Mentor Graphics Corporation