[oe] [RFC] Make some big changes right after next stable

Tom Rini tom_rini at mentor.com
Wed Mar 3 18:18:48 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 18:08 +0000, Graeme Gregory wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 10:33:07AM -0700, Tom Rini wrote:
> > Note that I'm not talking about "small" things like removing legacy
> > staging stuff (which is good!) I'm talking about things with the
> > potential to leave stuff non-building until stumbled upon.  Hence the
> > idea we do merge this into dev shortly after the next stable.
> >
> I think you are approaching things backwards.
>
> Develop this to the point of working enough other people can start to test it
> in a feature branch.
>
> Tag org.openembedded.dev then merge this work into .dev
>
> Anyone in the future can use the tag to get back to a "stable" point.

Let me try and make an analogy with (how I recall anyhow) kernel
development going.  As an example, re-laying out staging/ (and probably
killing cross/) happens in a branch.  Works for me.  Then still works
for some relatively big set (think -next) of targets.  I'm using the
next stable branching point as an analogy for a release + -rc1 merge
window opening up.

If everyone thinks that's just overkill, Chris will just start on the
new pstaging in a branch somewhere pretty soon I hope then.

--
Tom Rini <tom_rini at mentor.com>
Mentor Graphics Corporation