[oe] Encouraging distros to use newer recipe versions?

Mike Westerhof mike at mwester.net
Sat Mar 6 15:00:55 UTC 2010

Does it make any sense to create a class (or extend the sanity or testlab classes) so that OE can inform someone when a given build is using a recipe that can be considered obsolete?  Perhaps we might also add a bit more encouragement if it were possible to have that same class call out builds that have selected versions with known security vulnerabilities.

This would certainly help me with the distro I maintain -- one of the questions I cannot easily answer, and therefore tend to ignore, is "exactly how out-of-date has my distro become?".

I have no patches to do such a thing, and neither do I have time to create such a thing at this point in time, but perhaps if someone thinks this is worthwhile time can be made for it...

-Mike (mwester)