[oe] Encouraging distros to use newer recipe versions?

Holger Hans Peter Freyther holger+oe at freyther.de
Mon Mar 8 06:08:11 UTC 2010

On Saturday 06 March 2010 16:10:40 Richard Purdie wrote:

> > I have no patches to do such a thing, and neither do I have time to
> > create such a thing at this point in time, but perhaps if someone
> > thinks this is worthwhile time can be made for it...
>
> I've been keeping half an eye on what Holger has been doing and yes, I
> think this could be desirable. Its also rather straightforward to do.
> Simply create a new variable

Such a class does make sense but is only fixing 50% of the issue. E.g. when we
look at "gpdf" there are two things.

1.) The distro builder should be informed that building gpdf is bad in regard
to known security issues. So he might decide to throw it out of the feed.

2.) A user using the distro has the (discontinued) package still installed and
he will not notice that his latest gpdf is "bad". Distribution makers will
also need a way to announce such things to their users. I have wondered if we
could create a ipk with RCONFLICTS on discontinued software or such.

z.