[oe] [RFC] duplicate recipes

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 05:10:47 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 09:29:27PM +0100, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
> 2010/3/10 Martin Jansa <martin.jansa at gmail.com>:
> > On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 04:44:48PM +0100, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
> >> Time for a summary I guess:
> >>
> >> original proposal from me:
> >> Probably the best scenario is to remove all versions which
> >> - are not the latest version
> >> - are not  pinned with  PREFERRED_VERSION  in conf/distro/*
> >> - do not have the largest DEFAULT_PREFERENCE
> >
> > I think this rules are quite strict, in first iteration would be enough
> > to keep only latest from each "major" version
> >
> > where major version is defined by common-sense (ie first 2 version
> > number for xorg, but somewhere first number is enough)
> >
> > ie for xserver-xorg:
> > ../dev/recipes/xorg-xserver/xserver-xorg_1.2.0.bb
> > ../dev/recipes/xorg-xserver/xserver-xorg_1.3.0.0.bb
> > ../dev/recipes/xorg-xserver/xserver-xorg_1.4.2.bb
> > mv ../dev/recipes/xorg-xserver/xserver-xorg_1.4.bb
> > mv ../dev/recipes/xorg-xserver/xserver-xorg_1.5.1.bb
> > ../dev/recipes/xorg-xserver/xserver-xorg_1.5.3.bb
> > mv ../dev/recipes/xorg-xserver/xserver-xorg_1.7.1.bb
> > ../dev/recipes/xorg-xserver/xserver-xorg_1.7.4.bb
> >
> > and update preferred-xorg-versions (1.7.1->1.7.4) and other if needed
> >
> >> opinions:
> >
> > JaMa: move older minor versions to obsolete, keep latest for each "major"
>
> Noted!
>
> (but for my understanding:why do you see it useful to retain old
> versions that are not pinned. For xorg, being a complicated and big
> thing I can partly understand it, but is there really a point in

Yes that's where I expect it could be difficult for some machine
maintainer to jump from ie xserver-xorg-1.4.bb directly to 1.7.4, but
moving to 1.4.2 should be quite painless.

But I expect that that even removing some minor version of not so important
xorg-app can create a bit work, as new one will need ie newer
util-macros and newer util-macros maybe won't work with so old xserver
etc.

> keeping old versions of e.g. transmission? (noting that if needed they
> can always be recovered from git).

There is only one major version of transmission for me 1.x, so there
would be only one latest.

In most places it would be best to ask package maintainer / person who
added most versions to do a cleanup or send him cleaning patch for ack.

There is at least of latest versions with D_P -1 (and enabled for some
distro) where is maybe D_P not needed anymore and can be removed.

Regards,

uin:136542059                jid:Martin.Jansa at gmail.com
Jansa Martin                 sip:jamasip at voip.wengo.fr
JaMa