[oe] [RFC] Enabling busybox-less builds

Martyn Welch martyn.welch at ge.com
Mon Mar 22 09:34:33 UTC 2010

This patch series is my first attempt at providing a working busybox-less
build. I'd hoped to clean it up a bit more before posting this, but as hrw is
looking at this as well, I'll post it now for discussion.

To prototype this, we have created an alternative "busybox" package that,
rather than building a version of busybox, causes the build to depend on a
suite of other packages which provide the functionality provided in a standard
build by busybox. I'm sure this list isn't perfect, but it's working for us.

We had a bit of issue with the update-alternatives that we were using - it
seemed to need both of the alternatives in the same directory, hence some of
these patches moving the install location of apps around.

There is also a nasty cludge to provide the hwclock script that Marcin
identifed as a problem. I've been meaning to get the alternative busybox script
to provide this, but haven't got arround to it yet.

We also replaced ifupdown with the ubuntu version, it seems to be a little
different from the debian version and it resolved some issues for us.

Please let me know what you think,

Martyn

--
Martyn Welch (Principal Software Engineer)   |   Registered in England and
GE Intelligent Platforms                     |   Wales (3828642) at 100