[oe] BBVERSIONS

Michael Smith msmith at cbnco.com
Tue Mar 23 12:40:53 UTC 2010

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:

> Then again I feel it is in most cases better to move forward. E.g. for
> your nano example: why would people want to build say nano 1.0.2 if
> there is also a working 1.0.6 recipe (or even a 2.2.3 one or whatever
> version it is at). I feel it is better to spent time to
> fix/improve/add/repair the latest version than spend time fixing old
> code.
> (generally speaking that is)

I have a distro I use quite a bit at work, but don't have a lot of time to
maintain - only a few days a month. I'd like to be able to pull the latest
.dev from time to time to get kernel updates, xorg, etc. - things that are
adding new features, support for new hardware, mostly.

Nano is a good example of an application where I'll never, ever want new
features. :) As long as the version I've pegged keeps building, I'd rather
not have to think about re-testing the new version, or checking how much
bigger it got. If the recipe is unsalvageable, fine, kill it and I'll
spend the couple of hours it takes to re-test - just please don't delete
recipes only for the sake of tidying.

Mike