[oe] [RFC] Removal of e2fsprogs-libs

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 07:32:05 UTC 2010

2010/3/23 Graeme Gregory <dp at xora.org.uk>:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 07:01:23PM +0100, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
>>
>> During last days I spent a bit of time on e2fsprogs* and util-linux-ng
>> recipes. They are cleaner now but there is still some work to do.
>>
>> We have many recipes which depends on 'e2fsprogs-libs' when they want
>> 'libblkid' or 'libuuid' which are provided by 'e2fsprogs-libs' and
>> 'util-linux-ng' recipes. I checked how Debian solves that and got into point
>> where there is no 'e2fsprogs-libs' recipes in my tree and everything is
>> building.
>>
>> What needs to be changed?
>>
>> 1. git rm -r recipes/e2fsprogs-libs
>> 2. check each recipe which depends on 'e2fsprogs-libs' which library it really
>>    wants
>> 3. change each recipe which wants 'libblkid' or 'libuuid' to depend on
>>    'util-linux-ng'
>> 4. change each recipe which wants 'libcom_err' or 'libss' to depend on
>>    'e2fsprogs'
>> 5. add "--with-elf-shlibs" to 'e2fsprogs' to get 'libcom_err' and 'libss'
>> 6. fix packaging of 'e2fsprogs' to get separate packages for libraries.
>>
>> I can work on that in next days but want to inform everyone that such change
>> will be done.
>>
> Hrw thanks for cleaning this up, feel free to add my ack to your completed
> worked.

Although I highly welcome the cleanup proposed by Marcin, I feel it is
not proper to submit an ack for patches that are not submitted as
such.
Acked-by indicates approval, and I find it somewhat fishy to approve a
patch that you haven't seen yet.
(without wanting to question the value or quality of Marcin's work, as
that will undoubtly be ok).

Frans