[oe] COMPATIBLE_MACHINE - how can use?

Douglas Royds douglas.royds at taitradio.com
Thu Mar 25 21:33:44 UTC 2010

COMPATIBLE_MACHINE uses Python's re.match(), so COMPATIBLE_MACHINE is a
regular expression that must match the start of the MACHINE variable.
For instance, from recipes/linux/linux-davinci_2.6.30.bb:

    COMPATIBLE_MACHINE =
    "(dm6446-evm|dm6467-evm|dm355-evm|davinci-sffsdr|dm355-leopard)"

The following line would have much the same effect:

    COMPATIBLE_MACHINE = "(dm6446|dm6467|dm355|davinci)"

If you try to build this recipe for any non-matching MACHINE, it will
refuse. Additionally, if MACHINE="dm6446-evm" and you ask for a build of
the kernel, only three recipes are compatible:

    * linux-davinci_2.6.28.bb
    * linux-davinci_2.6.30.bb
    * linux-davinci_git.bb

The one that actually gets built will be chosen either alphanumerically,
or by respecting the DEFAULT_PREFERENCE or PREFERRED_VERSION variables.

Hope this helps,
Douglas.