[oe] Build uncompressed kernel

Dmitry Vinokurov df6.626 at gmail.com
Tue May 4 15:16:42 UTC 2010

Hello,

Is there any way to cancel compression stage of kernel build and get
uncompressed uImage using OE? I've measured uncompressing time (using
stopwatch actually, so it could be +-0.1-0.2 seconds or even more) -- it's
about 0.8-0.9 seconds, and boot time is much more critical for my system
than image size, so even 0.5 seconds is really important. Bootloader is
Uboot, board is ARM9 Phytec lpc3250.

Also I've read http://elinux.org/About_Compression and it states about
decompress time about 50ms, so looks like either I should measure boot time
using more precise tools (like from inside of Uboot) or my board is not so
fast as those which used by authors. Perhaps anybody could share their
experience in this issue, is it worth at all to try to build uncompressed
kernel?

Thanks in advance.

--
Best Regards,