[oe] The rpurdie/work-in-progress branch has been merged

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Wed May 5 23:43:19 UTC 2010

I finally felt the time was right so I've merged the work-in-progress
branch I've been talking about to OE.dev. This contains various
architecture improvements and legacy staging cleanups that have been
used in Poky for a while with great benefit.

One thing people have seen with this branch is configure failures like:

"""
Written by Tom Tromey <tromey at redhat.com>
       and Alexandre Duret-Lutz <adl at gnu.org>.
AUTOV is 1.10
cp: cannot stat `/media/data1/builds/oe1/tmp/sysroots/armv5te-oe-linux-gnueabi/usr/share/gettext/config.rpath': No such file or directory
"""

This means you need to inherit the gettext class in the .bb file as the
package has a gettext dependency that is missing, i.e. a trivial fix.

Obviously these don't appear once gettext has been built as a dependency
for any one thing. There are warnings about missing inherits in the QA
tests though. Poky has these as errors, I don't think OE is quite ready
for that yet but it would be something to start working on.

I and others will keep an eye open for problems related to this merge
and address them as quickly as possible.

These changes are important to move us closer to our goals of improved
sysroot handling, better packaged staging and so forth.

Cheers,

Richard