[oe] All the syslogs

Steffen Sledz sledz at dresearch.de
Fri May 7 07:46:10 UTC 2010

Am 06.05.2010 08:13, wrote Koen Kooi:
>> Since i added the recipe for rsyslog we have three different
>> syslog implemenations in OE: (busybox-)syslog, syslog-ng, and
>> rsyslog.
>
>> At the moment syslog-ng and rsyslog have pkg_postinst and pkg_postrm
>> stages which use update-rc.d to deinstall/reinstall init.d links
>> for (busybox-)syslog which is default.
>
>> This seems to be a bad hack for me. I believe there must be better
>> solutions for this situation. But I'm not sure which is the preferred.
>> Is this a case for alternatives? Or something like
>> DISTRO_SYSLOG_DAEMON? Or something else?
>
> DISTRO_* is the wrong namespace for that, it's a per-image choice. You
> could have a look at using u-a to changing initscripts and binaries.

OK, than i'll try to create an u-a setting for all the syslogs (btw: we
have not three but four different ones, there's sysklogd too).

Has anyone combined update-alternatives and update-rc.d for initscripts
before? I'm afraid there are some pitfalls in the naming of the initscript
itself and the symlinks.

Regards,
Steffen