[oe] mpc8315e-rdb (ppc e300c3) failure

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Fri May 7 18:35:27 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 9:29 AM, Tom Rini <tom_rini at mentor.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> With DISTRO=minimal and MACHINE=mpc8315e-rdb, I see the following
> failure in virtual/libc (using fe4ff6940b06c73d5b88224b99750bf65accf13d
> in oe.dev): http://pastebin.com/44pdUFqt and I confirmed this prior to
> the RP merge, so this is unrelated.

undefined reference to `_restfpr_14_x'
this is because we use -Os to compile the C startup code. with Os ppc gcc
generates these function calls and these functions are in libgcc as well but the
problem is that in the default link order
crtend.o appears after -lgcc and its linking with libgcc.a so it does not have
the undefined reference and it does not pull the object out of libgcc and hence
linking fails.

The right solution is to compile crtstuff always with -O2 it does not
bloat the size
as its only 2-3 small functions plus it gets us going forward.

If we used -O2 to compile everything you wont see this error.

I will try to fix it when I have time.

Thanks
-Khem