[oe] [RFC] logrotate scripts policy

Roman I Khimov khimov at altell.ru
Wed May 12 10:19:19 UTC 2010

В сообщении от Среда 12 мая 2010 03:05:15 автор Mike Westerhof написал:
> Roman I Khimov wrote:
> > This way all *-logrotate packages will get installed by default, but not
> > the logrotate program. So, it will eat some little space in
> > /etc/logrotate.d for everyone by default (but you can get rid of those
> > packages if you really don't want them), but would allow to switch
> > rotation on/off easily with just one package included or not in the
> > image.
>
> The NSLU2 has a grand total of 8MB of flash space for bootloader,
> kernel, and the filesystem.  We don't have even a few KB left right now
> for those extra packages.  Keep in mind that even a 20-byte script will
> have a large footprint in the opkg database that's on the filesystem, so
> that space is in addition.
>
> It's really really difficult to build an image without a whole lot of
> extraneous stuff in it, and I suspect that extraneous stuff is all in
> there for the same reasoning, which goes along the lines of "It's only a
> little bit of space..." -- but it all adds up, and when your total
> rootfs can only be 5.5 MB or so...

OK, that's exactly the kind of feedback I've wanted to get. But as such
constraints are not common (or they are?), I still think that this should be
(and easier to) implemented in opt-out fashion. So, I'll try to cook up a
patch today that does

RRECOMMENDS_${PN} += "${PN}-logrotate"
RSUGGESTS_${PN}-logrotate += "logrotate"

and then add some "PURGE_LOGROTATE" variable that will trigger *-logrotate
packages removal from image if there is a need to.