[oe] some possible fixes in the OE web pages

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed May 12 21:30:53 UTC 2010

  getting into ubuntu for the first time and working my way thru the
OE web pages, setting it up under ubuntu 10.04 so a few observations
-- do with them what you will

* on http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/OEandYourDistro#Ubuntu,
there's a reference to configuring for qemu-arm:

  echo 128 > /proc/sys/vm/mmap_min_addr

from memory, i always simply set that to zero on fedora.  is there
something magic about the value 128?  at the moment, it's at the
default value of 65536 on this ubuntu system.

* there's also (under debian, so might hold true under ubuntu as well)
a requirement to install "xmlto".  however, if you do a regular
install, you drag in a *massive* amount of tex-related packages.
instead, one can theoretically use "fop" for PDF generation, and omit
all that tex stuff.  is it feasible to use fop instead and

  $ apt-get install --no-install-recommends xmlto

  i think there was something else but it escapes me at the moment.

rday