[oe] udev static

Raffaele Recalcati lamiaposta71 at gmail.com
Thu May 13 10:03:40 UTC 2010

Using udev 141 in nfs I had frequently a very long delay after the message
"Starting udev".
If I do a ctrl-c the system goes on.
But sometimes there are some devices lacking, obviously.

So I look inside udev and I saw many udev rules in /etc/udev/rules.d
directory.

I know that Angstrom is focused for a general purpose usage, but in my
embedded case I don't need it and I prefer a quick boot with fix devices
create.
What I'll need is to trigger automount of usb serial, SD card, usb pen, and
similar things.
So I have modified udev to populate, similarly to udev-static-devices.bb,
the /dev directory mounted.
I also notice the DEVCACHE functionality, that it seems a little bit
dangerouse in my case.
My idea is to create a new recipe, named udev-static, in which I'll use
udev-static-device and than I'll put only some rule as example using RUN
udev function.

It is a good idea?
Thanks.
Raffaele