[oe] Using tar option strip-components in do_unpack

Phil Blundell philb at gnu.org
Sat May 15 08:24:08 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 23:23 +0200, Henning Heinold wrote:
> I discussed with pb on irc, how it would be the best way to unpack two tar
> archivs into the same directory. He pointed me to the tar strip-components
> options and attached is the outcome. Because base.bbclass is touched it is
> open for discussion here.

> +        tar_options = tar_options + ' -f'
>         if file.endswith('.tar'):
> -               cmd = 'tar x --no-same-owner -f %s' % file
> +               cmd = 'tar %s %s' % (tar_options, file)

I think it would be a good idea to try to keep "-f" and the filename
together, rather than splitting them across two strings.  It isn't
completely obvious to someone looking at this code that "-f" needs to be
the last thing in tar_options and that the filename needs to follow it
immediately.

So, I suggest not adding -f to tar_options and instead doing something
like:

cmd = 'tar %s -f %s' % (tar_options, file)

Apart from that I think your patch is good.  Thanks for looking at this.

p.