[oe] developmet setup

Vladimir Davydov vladimir.davydov at promwad.com
Thu May 27 14:42:21 UTC 2010

Hi,

Maybe following way will not usefull for you, but it is working for me.

I have overrided do_fetch() method in the kernel recipe to make symlink to my
kernel source tree, which is under git control.

S = "${WORKDIR}/linux-2.6"

do_fetch () {
  cd ${WORKDIR}
  if [ ! -L ${S} ]; then
    ln -sf ${MY_KERNEL_PATH} ${S}
  fi
}

MY_KERNEL_PATH is the local path to my kernel source tree. It is passed from
environment variables.
I'm using this way only for kernel development.

> Hi all,
> I was searching a clean way to develop in OE my new kernel and my new
> applications.
>
> I saw this nice article about kernel development:
> http://bec-systems.com/site/521/best-practices-for-kernel-development-with-
> openembedded
>
> I would like a way to develop inside Openembedded, but not in work
> directory.
> I mean to develop a project in a git tree, allowing me to use 'git diff'
> ..... and finally 'git push' to my internal git servers.
> This is an idea:
> bitbake -c devshell-path /home/myapplication myapplicationrecipe
>
> Perhaps srctree is a good tool already done for it?
>
> Thanks,
> Raffaele

Vladimir Davydov