[oe] developmet setup

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at sigma-chemnitz.de
Thu May 27 15:50:49 UTC 2010

Raffaele Recalcati <lamiaposta71 at gmail.com> writes:

> I was searching a clean way to develop in OE my new kernel and my new
> applications.

I wrote a recipe[1] which generates a special 'Makefile'[2].  It can be
used for developing an application in a way like

| $ make -C ~/src/my-app -f <workspace>/Makefile.ipan7 all
| $ make -f <workspace>/Makefile.ipan7 shell

and sets all the crosscompiler information.  There exist some extensions
for U-Boot[3] or common tasks like pkg-installation in NFS
rootfilesystems[4]. Sample commands are

| $ make -C ~/src/u-boot -f <workspace>/Makefile.ipan7 CFG=u-boot

or

| $ make -f <workspace>/Makefile.ipan7 CFG=pkg pkg-install P=busybox
| $ make -f <workspace>/Makefile.ipan7 CFG=pkg pkg-upgrade

We started with a variation for the kernel which was placed into a
kernel recipe[5] and generates a more simple makefile[6]. It should be
probably ported to the previous, more modern method but it works and
I do not have time for it :(

Our development model is to work on NFS rootfs where applications are
installed on by the methods above. There are OE recipes for these apps
which fetch either from git repositories or fetch normal tarballs of
these apps.

Enrico

Footnotes:
[1]  https://www.cvg.de/people/ensc/oe/elito-develcomp.bb