[oe] gitver problems

Michael Smith msmith at cbnco.com
Mon May 31 22:12:18 UTC 2010

On Mon, 31 May 2010, Cliff Brake wrote:

> git submodule mechanism is very exciting in that it gives us a
> standard way to lock down versions of various submodules without
> reverting to manually specifying hash values in recipes, etc.

Before I used OpenEmbedded, I had a custom build system with submodules.
It was a usability nightmare - there were a lot of cases where the
submodule tree was pushed but the parent wasn't committed and pushed, or
vice versa, or somebody reverted to a previous rev of a submodule because
they didn't "git submodule update" and ran "git commit -a" without
checking.

For our srctree/gitver projects we almost always want to track the latest
version, so a shell script that runs "git pull" in every directory works
much better for us than submodules did.

Mike